Popcorn Balls: 3-Ways
Fall is in the air and Halloween is just a few weeks away. I think it’s time for popcorn balls.
As a child, I remember my mom making popcorn balls around this time of year. One year, she even made a gazillion of them, wrapped them in plastic wrap and handed them out to trick-or-treaters. (Oh… the good ole’ days!).
Here’s a little time saving tip to making this delicious fun treat: use pre-popped popcorn. More specifically, I recommend SkinnyPop Popcorn.
SkinnyPop is gluten, dairy, peanut, tree nut and preservative free, non-GMO, no artificial flavors and zero trans fat. Most importantly- it tastes delicious. Trust me. I picked up 2 bags of the Original flavor and it’s a good thing I did. I made popcorn balls with one bag, and ate the other by the handfuls while sitting at my first-born son’s cross-country meet. (Find out where to buy SkinnyPop here.)
A lot of recipes call for corn syrup to make your popcorn balls hold together. I’m using melted marshmallows to make mine super gooey and keep them chewy.
Once you have the base made of melted marshmallow and popcorn, you can add anything your heart desires to make your popcorn balls suit your taste buds. I’ve made three kinds today: Loaded Halloween Popcorn Balls; Pumpkin Balls and yes… Caramel-Dipped Baklava Popcorn Balls.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 cups of popped popcorn (I use SkinnyPop)
- 1 cup chopped baklava
- (variations: 1-2 cups halloween candy)
- Caramel for melting
- Popsicle sticks
- In a large pot, melt butter on low heat.
- Add marshmallows, vanilla and salt.
- Stir until marshmallows are completely melted. Add in the cinnamon and stir until combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the popcorn directly into the pot.
- Stir to coat the popcorn being careful not to break the pieces.
- Add the chopped baklava and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease your hands with butter or non-stick cooking spray and form the mixture into balls.
- Place on waxed paper, place popsicle stick through center and let stand until firm.
- Once the popcorn balls are firm, melt caramel and dip the popcorn balls halfway in the melted caramel.
- Let stand until firm on waxed paper.
©2016 by Alexandra Salidas Roll, Figs & Feta, LLC.
Recipe and photos by Alexandra Salidas Roll of Figs & Feta, LLC. Please do not reprint this recipe without permission. If you would like to feature this recipe on your blog or site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link your post to this one as the original source. Thank you!