Cinnamon-Nutella Icing: The perfect topping for Greek Spice Cake Donuts.
I’m endlessly looking for a reason to bake something sweet in the kitchen. Name-days in our house are the perfect opportunity. Much like a birthday celebration, the honoree picks the dinner menu. Something special for dessert is a give-in.
Light, fluffy, chocolaty and smooth, this icing is a tasty topping for cupcakes, cakes, cookies or homemade donuts.
While he was at school I whipped up a batch of Greek Spice Cake Donuts for my second born’s name-day celebration. Usually I simply top these delicious treats with a confectioner’s sugar glaze but because of the special occasion that is upon us, I figured a thick frosting of Cinnamon-Nutella Icing was in order. With or without sprinkles these fresh donuts were celebrated and inhaled with plenty of icing left over for eating right out of the mixing bowl. ;)
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the softened butter and Nutella until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and milk and mix until light and fluffy, about 3 more minutes.
- Spread on cupcakes, cookies, cake, or homemade donuts.
- This icing goes especially well with Figs & Feta's Greek Spice Cake Donuts.
Recipe and photos by Alexandra Salidas Roll of Figs & Feta, LLC. Please do not reprint this recipe without permission. If you would like to feature this recipe on your blog or site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link your post to this one as the original source. Thank you!
If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and hashtag it #FIGSANDFETA and #GREEKMADESIMPLE. I’d love to see it!