Gluten-Free and Vegan Everything Cookies for Great Lent & Holy Week
This recipe is for my Orthodox friends out there who are embarking on Holy Week. We’ve fasted for 40 days, and we’re almost to the finish line- the Holy Resurrection.
This recipe is gluten-free, and dairy free, tasty and delicious. Make a batch at the beginning of the week and you’ll be set with your “I just need a little something sweet” craving for the rest of the week. (If you’re not a fan of coconut or walnuts, try mixing up a batch of the Non-dairy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.)
Oh! And PS: no eggs means this can also be eaten raw as a cookie-dough dip. (Or just scooped via fingers directly into mouth… :)
- 1 cup shortening, or vegan sticks (I use Earth Balance brand)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 Tabelspoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- ½ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, sift Gluten-Free flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly combine the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut and mix with a spatula.
- Scoop by heaping tablespoons-full onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-12 minutes until the cookies are golden and still soft to the touch.
- Allow to cool on the pan.
©2013-2017 by Alexandra Salidas Roll, Figs & Feta, LLC.
Recipe and photos by Alexandra Salidas Roll of Figs & Feta, LLC. Please do not reprint this recipe without permission. If you would like to feature this recipe on your blog or site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link your post to this one as the original source. Thank you!
If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and hashtag it #FIGSANDFETA and #GREEKMADESIMPLE. I’d love to see it!