Bread is one of my (many) downfalls. Sweet, sourdough, toasted, hearty, French- all of ’em. This bread is no exception.
I’m not joking or over exaggerating when I say that I ate an entire loaf of this Toasted Almond and Coconut Bread with Browned Honey Butter all by myself. Mind you, it was over the course of 3 days. But, it started immediately after photographing the bread. I couldn’t even do so much as to check my camera to make sure I got some good shots! I couldn’t resist any longer. So I made the call: I ate a piece of this bread and hence, the photo shoot was over.
As I was eating every last crumb my husband said to me “you know, I think I only had a half-of-a-slice of that.” And THAT was confirmation that I ate (with the exception of a half-of-a-slice) the entire thing.
It was just soooo good! Toasted almonds AND toasted coconut?! And browned honey butter?! Ridiculous!
Sometimes I just need to bake some bread. My go-to is usually banana bread, but with the absence of overripe bananas hanging around the kitchen I needed an alternative.
I was inspired to create this recipe from Half Baked Harvest’s Toasted Coconut Lemon Bread with Salted Honey Butter dated February 18, 2014. I stumbled across this little nugget while exploring HBH’s website. I decided to play with the ingredients a little and this recipe is the outcome.
… and the browned honey butter! Seriously- I was licking the drips off the counter. It is beyond delicious. I’m in love with this combination of flavors- toasted almonds and coconut, chocolate (duh.), and browned honey butter. (I love me some browned butter- as you can see with my Almond Brown Butter Scones and Brown Butter Corn Cookies… oh! and Brown Butter Macadamia Nut Baklava.) This is a hearty and decadent bread because it is loaded with almonds and coconut, and topped with the same delicious ingredients.
Just writing about this bread makes me want to head straight to the kitchen and make another loaf! I’ll be back….
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted, plus 1 cup for topping (2 cups total)
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted, plus ½ cup for topping (1 cup total)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus ¼ cup for topping (3/4 cups total)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, browned
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and coconut oil. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and coconut milk and mix until smooth. Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in 1 cup toasted coconut, ½ cup toasted almonds and and chocolate. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until center is set.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Place the loaf on a platter and drizzle the bread with the browned honey butter, then sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut (1 cup), toasted almonds (½ cup) and chocolate chips ¼ cup). Drizzle more honey butter on top to make sure the toppings stick.
- Eat the entire thing by yourself because you deserve it and don’t share with anyone else in the household!
©2013-2018 by Alexandra Salidas Roll, Figs & Feta, LLC.
Recipe and photos by Alexandra Salidas Roll of Figs & Feta, LLC. Please do not reprint this recipe without permission. If you would like to feature this recipe on your blog or site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link your post to this one as the original source. Thank you!
If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and hashtag it #FIGSANDFETA – I’d love to see it!